Monday, March 9, 2009

Yankee girl, Southern boy

My oldest niece, Maria, got married last Saturday in North Carolina. She's from Pennsylvania and her husband is from North Carolina. Written across the windows of the getaway car were "Yankee Girl" and "Southern Boy". Huh.

The wedding day was beautiful. The sun was shining over bright blue skies, temps were in the low 80s, and flowers were blooming everywhere. The only thing that would have made it perfect would have been white leather ballerina shoes on my feet. Of course it's about me. This is partly my blog. The other part belongs to my sister. The one who rarely posts. So there, sissy.

My mother-in-law, sister-in-law and I were in charge of preparing the rehearsal dinner. We found this out when we got to the rehearsal. We used every person with us, recruiting husbands, brothers, cousins and friends to get tables set up, food prepared and punch made. We call that "pulling a Clara". My mother-in-law, Clara, can pull together dinner for 20 people out of a can of tuna, a box of pasta, salad and olives. She's amazing. You can't have her.



These beautiful flowers were in one of the bridesmaids' bouquets. They almost became table centerpieces for the rehearsal dinner. They were in the refrigerator. We didn't know who they belonged to. So we took them for the tables. It's a good thing my sister-in-law got smart and decided to ask the bride's mom if we could use them. The answer was "NO". Only she wasn't quite as calm as I've made her sound. The flowers quickly got put back and no harm done.





I find hearts everywhere. It's kind of a game I play when I'm bored. Not that I was bored at the wedding. I just find hearts.



Those bouquets ended up as centerpieces anyway.

3 comments:

  1. Ok...it worked this time! I said earlier I love hearts!

    My Heart Story!
    When my youngest son who is now 22, pitched in high school I would go around collecting heart shaped rocks!! (I know I should have been watching...) I have a lovely collection I have around my house...a few on my patio and a really kewl glass container from Pottery Barn full of rocks!! I still look down for the perfect heart shaped rock...!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy- I remember when you were at the Cape & were looking for rocks or shells that were heart-shaped! At least you were at the games...they get long & you had to pass the time somehow =) Glad you checked out the blog--hope you come back!

    Christine

    ReplyDelete